allGLAMMEDup: #THANKFUL

#THANKFUL

12:00 AM


Materialism has always been one of my biggest strongholds, and I always feel like I "need" more clothes, more jewelry, more stuff to decorate my room with, etc. I make my blog an excuse to always be buying more stuff that I really don't need. Although all those things make me happy momentarily, they don't give me the joy or the kind of satisfaction or joy that God gives me.

At Mariners Church, we're currently going through a series called "Obsessed" and have been discussing how our world is so obsessed with things and put them before God (which was perfect timing with Thanksgiving this week!). Last night I was reminded that God has blessed me with not only so many things, but amazing parents, an incredible community and friends that loves God, the opportunity to live so close to the beach, and so many other things. Pastor Ronny talked about how our cravings (of material items, fame, sex, etc.) can be costly, and BOY have I experienced that.

Here are some more notes from the message:

the immediate NEVER satisfies
the immediate OVERWHELMS the important (appreciating what we have)
cravings can be costly
God gave up His priceless Son for our common sin
the one thing God desires from us is a spirit of thanksgiving

Something I think is so ironic is that we have a whole weekend (and basically month) dedicated to shopping literally right after a day when we're supposed to be thankful for everything that we have. As you spend time with your family and friends this week, REALLY think about everything God has blessed you with. Something cool that Ronny had us do was write down the things that we want or think we need, and then counter them with something to be thankful for. 

Here are a few of mine:

I "need" new clothes // I'm thankful for a closet full of great clothes (and I barely wear half of them)
I want to move out and get my own place // I'm thankful for loving and supportive parents that don't make me pay rent for still living at home
I want a full-time job so I can have more money // I'm thankful for the job that I have, an amazing "boss," and for getting a raise and more hours! I'm also thankful for my internship with Mariners College Group, and although I don't get paid for it, it feeds my soul and gives me so much joy.

So. What are YOU thankful for? Share in the comments below!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Thanks for commenting! It really does makes my day :)